Saturday 13 October 2012

iOS6 tethered jailbreak and the issues

To those jailbreakers out there, if you are thinking of jailbreaking your A4 device using iOS6 + tethered jailbreak - PLEASE, THINK AGAIN!!!

The reason I said so is because I have encountered too many problems with JB this time and each time you encountered this problem, it will reboot. So you need to boot it tethered again. Which is quite a pain in the @$$....Mind you, I have been JB my phone (3GS) since its first launched so I pretty much know what I'm doing. Except this time there's too much effort that I think it overweighs the enjoyment of JB.

Anyway...to those who interested to JB your A4 devices on iOS6, you can find the instructions here:

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-6-iphone-and-ipod-touch-a4-based-only-using-redsn0w-tutorial/

So now let me tell you what kind of issues that I was having.

FIRST ISSUE: something happened that I need to restore my phone and erase my JB.
1. My first attempt to JB was successful w/out any issues. However, something happened (I can't recall) that triggered my phone to be restored. Yup, restore is the only option...d@mn.

SECOND ISSUE: SSH was not installed properly during JB process.
2. Since I need to restore my phone, my first time JB is gone. So I gotta do 2nd JB after restore. And if you do not know, this JB version (redsn0w 0.9.13 dev4) does  not install Cydia automatically. You have to do it separately on your own via SSH. So I did what I did during my first JB. Unfortunately, I got below error message:

Connection refused upon SSH connection
With some readings on how to resolve this issue, it is clear to me that the SSH was not installed properly during this 2nd JB. If it is, I should not be having this issue as what had happened during my 1st JB.

THIRD ISSUE: Unable to connect through SSH...due to some RSA key?
3. So, 3rd JB now. That is the only way to get the SSH to be installed properly. So I did a 3rd JB and reach to the point to install Cydia. Yet, another error message...

RSA key incorrect???
OK, I admit that the above error is something new and beyond my understanding. But again, with some hard works and A LOT of readings, I managed to solve it. Refer this post for the solution: "Solving "Warning: Remote Host Identification Has Changed!"".

FOURTH ISSUE: Stuck at the Apple logo valley of death...unstable JB?
4. So everything was good for the JB process. Today, I downloaded SBSettings from Cydia and installed it. Finish installing, the phone was rebooting. And now....it stuck at the Apple logo valley of death ~sigh.... Some says that you need to enter DFU mode and then restore your phone. What, again? Another JB? But hold on fellas...hard reset would do. See this instructions if you are not sure how to perform hard reset: http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone

FIFTH ISSUE: Installous does not load human verification page...only white blank page.
5. Last but not least...I have been using Installous and somehow it does not show up the human verification page. What I got is only a blank white page. I have so far yet to manage to overcome this. Should you know what to do.....kindly share =)


Conclusion:
All in all, I would say if you are using jailbroken iOS5 device right now and thinking to upgrade to jailbroken iOS6, maybe you need to think again as my opinion is that, the hassles that you need to go through outweighs its benefit. And did I mention about not many Cydia apps are iOS6 compatible yet? So if I were you, the best bet right now is to sit back, relax, and wait for few more weeks for an untethered JB to be released and to let those developers to fine tune their apps for iOS6.


No comments:

Post a Comment